About our Approach to Pediatric Occupational Therapy
We approach Occupational Therapy by targeting functional goals determined by the family and other care-givers.
Practical, Flexible, Fun
We are practical, short term and flexible in our approach, with the emphasis on the child and his/her progress. Our sessions are fun and focused. Custom home programs are crafted to reinforce and expand skills at home. We know that each child is different, and we work collaboratively with you and your child’s team, receiving and providing timely, appropriate and relevant information to create a circle of care. We look forward to meeting your family and helping your child reach their full potential for greater participation in all areas of their life.
Pamela Hood Szivek, OT
Occupational Therapist Registered and Licensed
Miss Pam, as her young clients call her, has more than 20 years experience as a pediatric occupational therapist in a variety of settings including early intervention programs, schools, homes, clinics and private offices. She’s participated in research studies and received grants to start innovative programs. After many years in practice in Corvallis, Oregon in the United States, our lead therapist relocated to Victoria, BC, and opened Canadian Children’s Therapy to continue to serve children.
Registered OT in BC, Canada, and licensed in the United States in Oregon, Washington, California and Arizona.
Our Therapist is Trained in the Following:
- Handwriting Without Tears©
- Assistive Technology Assessment and Implementation
- Benbow Hand Function and Handwriting Remediation
- Best Practices in Early Childhood
- Brain Gym©
- Client Intervention Training
- Collaborative Problem Solving Tier 1 Intensive
- CPR & First Aide
- Early Intervention
- How Does Your Engine Run? (The Alert program© for self-regulation)
- Love & Logic technique
- Neuro Developmental therapy (NDT)
- Sensory Integration therapy SOS Approach to Feeding©
- SOFFI Method for oral feeding of Infants
- TAMO (Tscharnuter Akademie for Movement Organization)
- STAR Institute Treatment Center Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) Internship
- Transdisciplinary Play-Based Assessment and Treatment
- Traumatic Brain Injury strategies
- Wilbarger treatment protocol for Sensory Defensiveness
Yoga for the Special Needs Child